Monday, February 5, 2007

The West Side Snobs

In addition, so far on my blog, I’ve been bashing the more frum people for being overly obnoxious, but I'd like to share my hatred with the not so frum people as well. Im sure many people are aware of this and this is nothing new to them, especially to those that live there.

Although it’s been a while since I was on the upper west side, I can still smell the cologne and perfume from the Friday night davending at the OZ. It could also be that I had a very negative experience over there, as not to go back as often as a single guy should. The only time I was there, when the weather was somewhat warmer than it is now, I remember the after shul social affair, where every one dresses up in their best over priced suit and their Elmer’s glue hair, and their pointy European style shoes. And if that didn’t make feel alone and out of place with my average priced suit and tie, then we have the cliques. Its not that I can’t dress that way and look super preppy, but what is the point. Someone I know thru an acquaintance told me “don’t you know where you are; you should’ve came much more dressed up”. Wtf?

It kind of felt like high school with all of cliques, being the unpopular one and feeling left out. I only knew 2 or 3 people there, but that’s not nearly enough to get by. Its not like you’re in an out of town shul and if someone doesn’t recognize you, they invite you over for a meal. What if I didn’t have a meal, would anyone be so kind and ask me. Well, I did have a meal at one of those ‘young professionals’, they should rename it ‘under 50 – your still considered young’, and naturally I was the youngest one there by at least 10 years and the only one not making over 150,000 dollars annually, and being completely separated from my buddies, I sucked it up How ever awkward it wasn’t the worst situation I was in, but still uncomfortable. The rest of the shabbos, I tried not to venture out to any more of these west side gatherings and meet anymore west side people, cause they are clearly not my style. I shall move on with my life.
I know some of you will respond that not everyone is like that out there, but from my experience, a large majority are.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you need to give the area more time. I mean it's hard to judge by just one shabbos, no?

Jacob Da Jew said...

yea dawg ,spread the love,oh I mean the hate.

Anonymous said...

Dude I cannot agree with you more the UWS is a the bastion of shallowness and the uberdating scene. There is no point of going there unless you are a doctor, lawyer or some other job of mommy and dadys dream. I grew up in the Upper West I know it all.

Th best place to go if you are 24 and single and not shallow is Washington Heights- if you wanna meet some folks Ill hook you up man.

socialworker/frustrated mom said...

I don't know much about that area I hope you meet nice ppl and like the area more. I hate snobs!!!

Notsofrummie said...

I have heard some nice things about the heights. It may be more of a YU'ish and more religous type crowd, but im sure they are way more friendly there. I know some people up there and majority of them are tons nicer than the west siders.

Anonymous said...

Well in the hieghts many of the people are younger and less successful so to speak. It is also more religious as a whole. Its for the folks who dont make 200k a year and cant afford the upper west.

JT said...

Not everyone is like that :). But, most of the people who aren't wouldnt be at OZ on a Friday night. Shabbat morning is definitely better there. For Fri night Id suggest Ramat Orah on 110th. The crowd is a bit younger, and less snobbish. I have only been to the Heights a few times. There are fewer people there, but from my experience it is a warmer scene.