Friday, February 2, 2007

Fat frum kids are everywhere - put down the shnitzel!

I have many fears in life, as im sure many people have, but one in particular is a fear of having fat children. I look around and all I see are fat kids every where. They are taking over every where; the schools, the fast food joints, the ice cream shops, etc. you get my drift. But, I want to have skinny kids that remain skinny for their whole life and not give up at age 10 because of laziness and lack of a healthy diet, but as you all know in this day and age and obesity rate sky rocketing across the nation, chances are of my child remaining slim is much slimmer what it used to be.
Now, you may ask what does frumness play a role in this fat factor. Well, these kids sit in their ass’s all day in class until the wee hours of the afternoon and evening, hours after a normal public school lets out. So, by the time they get home, they then sit on their fat ass eating and doing Homework and maybe watch some TV. You see, public school kids get out so much earlier, so they can actually pick up an activity to run around for a few hours before assuming position on their couch. I remember back in HS, I would get up at 6 am and not be home till 10 at night. Yes, we have recess, but some are too lazy to play sports and that’s only for like 10 min. where’s my soccer practice or varsity football teams? Yeshiva leaves no time between learning and more learning for kids to be more active in sports.
One would think in this day and age with obesity on the rise, yeshivas would require much more exercise. I feel an hour or two a day in school or after-school daily is needed . Because of the lack of a regular gym class at yeshivas, I will require my kids to jog with me every night a mile around a track, once then will I allow my child to play his/her Xbox and watch tube, even maybe their Homework. This is my view. Till next time.

10 comments:

Avrom said...

Obesity in children is an issue whether one is a frum Jew or not. Do you think that obesity rates among frum Jews is lower or higher? Apparently you think higher but neither of us can say one way or the other.
Also, eating habits is the greatest contributor to obesity, not lack of exercise.

Jacob Da Jew said...

"these kids /sit in/ their ass’s all day"

"lack /or/ gym"

I dont think so...Kindly read your post before blogging them.

Also,i agree with Avrom.Yes,lots of us are lardasses(not me,I am a cyclist) but its an American problem.

Notsofrummie said...

I agree, obesity is everywhere and yes eating habits also cause it. But why arent yashivas doing anything about it to help fight it. Plus, in the non-frum world its alot easier for the children to join a league after school, yashivas dont give the chldren this opportunity. You cant exactly play sports at 6 or 7 aclock when they get home, as oppose 2 or 3 aclock at ps. 5 hours of gemarah and 15 min of recess is not helping.

Jacob Da Jew said...

Nice new format. Congrats.

Anonymous said...

Great post! You're funny!!

socialworker/frustrated mom said...

I would be more concerned about anorexics. I don't want fat children either.

Notsofrummie said...

Jewishbifemme-thanks

socialworker/fm - their both problems, but it seems to me that obesity is so much more of a problem, but a healthy diet and excersize in moderation is healthy for everbody.

Anonymous said...

Ill tell you the problem- its because frum people dont do anything for recreation. Merely going to the gym will not solve anything- and a family outing to the pizza store is not an outing. Why are frum jews so sedate and inactive. You should see in the Catskills- its so rare to see some frummies riding a bike, hiking or climbing up some rocks. They just sit in Fallsburg b y the wterfall and marvel for 5 minutes- that is what they call outdoor activity.

socialworker/frustrated mom said...

I know they are both problems but as a social worker and a person who had so many ppl close to me suffer from it, I just had to mention the anorexia.

residency year sucks said...

Funny post don't know how I missed it before. You picked on one of my sore points. Regarding social worker/fm comments, the problem in this country is not anorexia, true a few die from it but they are far from equal in terms of numbers. Obesity is by far the number 1 killer in america when you consider the role it plays in the major disease processes eg heart disease, diabetes, and many cancers. How many do you think die each year from being too thin.... the answer is not many so hollywood has a way to go in promoting more thinness. Not to forget as well that fat people are also not pleasant to look at.